We ladies all want to look our best when we get up and dress ourselves every day. Part of that is making sure our jewels and gems are shining bright - whether they're made of solid gold or they've gone through a protective plating process. After all, if you're gonna step out, you wanna step out right!
Here are 5 ways you can keep your costume jewelry looking its best:
1. Don't lotion your hands while wearing plated jewelry. Wait until your lotion, make-up and perfume has absorbed into the skin before you toss on the bling.
2. Do clean your jewelry with a soft jewelry cloth or cotton ball. Gently rub your jewelry to remove any dust or residue, and restore the shine.
3. Don't use acidic products like vinegar to clean plated jewelry. They'll only eat away at the protective coating!
4. Do wash your jewelry in warm, soapy water.
5. Don't swim or bathe in plated jewelry, especially at the beach. Salt water can destroy jewelry plating.
Did you know? Gold plating is a thin, protective layer of gold or other precious metals that keeps base metals like sterling silver from being damaged. Some metals are very delicate, so plating the piece will help it to harden and protect it from corrosion. Plating also increases the ability for jewelry to be soldered and decorated.
Is this information helpful? Share this article with your friends via Pinterest or Facebook.